To put it simply, an unconference is a form of professional development that brings together change agents and focuses on meaningful conversation (in our case, around education).
Whereas conferences are often huge, costly affairs, the unconference brings it back to connections and inspiration. Straight from edcamp.org:
- non-commercial and conducted with a vendor-free presence
- hosted by any organization interested in furthering the edcamp mission
- made up of sessions that are determined on the day of the event by the participants
- events where anyone who attends can facilitate a session
- reliant on the “law of two feet” that encourages participants to find a session that meets their needs
Need a visual? Check out this video: